Boiler Repair – What You Need To Know
A boiler malfunction can happen when you least expect it and usually at the most inconvenient time. Whether you have no heating, no hot water or you can hear a strange sound coming from your boiler, you are likely going to need to arrange boiler repair. The good news is that there are many companies offering boiler repairs locally. The problem is knowing who to call and worrying about how much the repair is likely to cost.
Fortunately, we’ve done some of the hard work for you so that you can find the right engineer and get a rough idea of the type of costs you might be looking at. We’ll look into the things that go wrong, an average cost of replacing parts and how to save money on your boiler repairs.
How Much Does a Boiler Repair Cost?
That’s a very good question, and you can probably guess the answer – it depends on the nature of the problem. The average cost of a boiler repair is £314. Here are some costs to give you a rough idea of what to expect. These costs include labour costs. You may also need to pay a call-out charge if you arrange an emergency boiler repair.
|Boiler Part||Average Cost|
|Automatic Air Vent||£100|
|Air Pressure Switch||£190|
|Printed Circuit Board||£260|
The amount you pay for your boiler repair will depend on the engineer you use, so it is worth shopping around for the best quote. The most important thing is that you get your repairs completed by a reputable company that uses Gas Safe accredited engineers.
What Can Change The Cost of a Boiler Repair
The table above will give you a rough idea of the costs you will be facing for some of the most common boiler faults. There are other factors that can also affect the final cost. These include:
- Where you live: boiler repair companies will charge different prices depending on where you live in the UK. For example, if you live in London, you may be charged double the price of the same repair carried out in Manchester.
- The company you use: smaller local businesses often charge less than a national company. However, there are some national companies that offer great fixed rates on repairs that are definitely worth considering.
- The model of boiler: some boilers are incredibly complex and will often cost more to repair as a result. For example, a conventional boiler may take longer to diagnose and repair than a combination boiler simply because it is made up of more parts.
- Locating spare parts: if your boiler is an uncommon or older model, your engineer may have difficulty finding spare parts. This can often push up repair costs.
The price of spare parts: as you can see from the table above, the price of spare parts can differ greatly. For example, a printed circuit board will cost much more than an automatic air vent.
Boiler Repair Cover – Is It Worth It?
Did you know that according to research by Which? one in three new boilers will experience a fault or breakdown within six years of being installed? With repair costs often running into hundreds of pounds, a breakdown can prove very expensive for homeowners, especially when it occurs without any warning. Another way you can arrange boiler repair and save money, in the long run, is through a boiler cover scheme. Many of the national energy companies that also offer boiler repairs have a cover program in place.
A boiler repair program will usually run over a 12 month period, but you’ll pay in monthly instalments. Some programs include an annual service, which can be well worth looking into as annual maintenance can help to prevent problems from occurring in the first place and save you money.
Pros And Cons Of a Boiler Replacement
Of course, there will be times when a gas boiler repair doesn’t solve the problem and a boiler replacement will be recommended instead. If that is the case, don’t panic. Many boiler repair companies, especially the national companies, offer boiler replacement schemes where you can pay for your boiler in instalments. You can also use our handy search facility to request a quote from both local and national boiler companies. We recommend obtaining at least three quotes as prices can differ wildly between boiler companies.
Here are some of the pros and cons of boiler replacement:
- Warranty – New boilers usually come with a warranty, so if they break down within the warranty period, your repair costs will be covered.
- Save money on your heating costs – A brand new energy efficient boiler could help you to save hundreds of pounds on your annual heating costs.
- More effective – A new boiler will be much more effective at heating up your home and hot water. You might also want to consider other improvements such as a smart thermostat or radiators you can control individually.
- Cost – A new boiler will cost hundreds of pounds to buy outright. Shopping around for a few quotes can help you to get the best price, however.
- Installation can be tricky – If you are replacing a new boiler on an old system, it might mean your boiler engineer has to replace other parts of your central heating system such as your thermostat and areas of pipework.
Boiler Repairs Near Me
Finding the right boiler repair company, whether you need routine or emergency boiler repair is important if you want to save money or get the best quality repairs. Using our convenient search facility, we can help you to obtain quotes from boiler engineers near you and also from the national brands you already know and trust.