If your boiler breaks down and you’re left with no heating or hot water, there are two scenarios you have.
- If your boiler and heating system is insured; simply contact your insurer. Most will provide a free 24 hour emergency helpline because a boiler emergency can happen at any time. They will then arrange for an engineer to come out promptly and fix it.
- If you do not have insurance then you are likely to be facing a costly emergency repair bill. An average repair cost is around £400, and a new boiler can set you back anything between £1,500 – £3,500 depending on your heating system and who you choose to replace and install it.
The best place to start is by contacting your local or national boiler repair company to come out and provide you with a quote and estimated time for repair. Use our search tool to Find Your Local Boiler Company.
Both options are stressful, because nobody wants to be without warmth or hot water especially during the winter months. It is therefore wise to take measures to avoid a breakdown occurring.
British Gas Boiler repairs from just £79 & 1 Year Guarantee on Repairs
Lines open 24/7
- British Gas boiler repairs include a full safety check as well as parts.
- One year guarantee on all British Gas boiler repairs.
- British Gas also provide a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week UK manned helpline.
How To Reduce The Risk Of A Boiler Breakdown
Statistics show most boiler breakdowns happen during the end of summer; this is because most people are reaching for their heating switches at this time. To reduce the risk, it is advisable to turn your central heating on for around 10 minutes each summer month. This will help prevent the system from clogging up because it ensures that the moving parts within it are being used. Getting your boiler serviced every year is also highly recommended. It is wise to find a reputable local or national boiler company to service your boiler around September. They will send a Gas Safe Registered engineer to check your boiler is working safely and efficiently. The service will also uncover any underlying problems that may lead to a boiler breakdown which can be fixed giving you peace of mind throughout the winter.
Where To Find Boiler Insurance
Energy suppliers including British Gas, nPower and E.ON all provide boiler cover options, or many home insurance companies include it in their policies. With so many deals and discounts available, it is worth shopping around to find the best one for you. Most will offer things like a free 24 hour helpline, emergency response and unlimited callouts.